[l2h] Problem with LaTeX2html/MikTeX

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Wed Jul 20 01:33:52 CEST 2005

Hi Igor and Andrew,

On 20/07/2005, at 8:35 AM, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Jul 2005, Andrew McArdle wrote:

>> 'I:\Program' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
>> operable program or batch file.
>>
>> Cannot read logfile './images.log': No such file or directory
>>
>> I:\Andrew\University\Pathology\Project\Write-up\LaTeX>
>> </CMD.EXE>
>
> Looks like an unquoted system() call inside latex2html.  Running in
> debug mode should show which exact command fails.

Yes, this looks like the start of the directory name:   \Program Files .

>> I made sure that the cfgcache.pm and prefs.pm files contained only
>> I:\progra~1 instead of the full path beforehand, so this isn't the
>> cause of

I doubt that would work.

>> the error. I have also searched for any mention of "I:\program" or
>> "I:\\program" in the latex2html directory and have found nothing.
>
> Check your environment variables as well.

Yep.  Check the values of   $LATEX,  $DVIPS,  etc.

>> Can anyone suggest where this error comes from: is it trying to find
>> Ghostscript or some LaTeX-related files? I looked for all mentions of
>> system or exec in the perl file, in the hope that I could fix the
>> error
>> by double-quoting any paths, but that led me nowhere, so I am a bit
>> stuck! Any help you can give would be appreciated.
>
> As far as I can see, latex2html mostly uses L2hos->syswait(...) to make
> system calls (which, on Win32, simply runs system(...)).  Search for
> all
> occurrences of those -- there are quite a few unquoted invocations of,
> say, $LATEX.

What is the correct way to quote this under Windows ?
Does it change with different versions of the OS ?

Surely this problem is best fixed by adding the appropriate quoting in
the
definition of the variables at installation time.

Alternatively, the   L2hos->syswait(...)   for DOS/Windows can be
modified
to search for the particular string "Program Files"
(case-insensitively)
and then quote those parts of the command that match.

Since I don't normally use Windows, at least not for programming, I
really
don't know the correct syntax to use, so as to fix it in the LaTeX2HTML
code-base.

Would someone please provide the details that I'll need.

>> Am I even looking in the right place to convert LaTeX to a Word
>> document? I have seen some Word document converters, but I suspect the
>> latex2html converter will cope better with the use of packages and
>> commands etc. Am I right?
>
> I've used ltx2rtf, with reasonable success, but that was on a
> non-math-heavy file.  YMMV.

There is also  TeX4ht,  to produce HTML.
It used to be that LaTeX2HTML results were cleaner,
but that may well have changed over the past few years.