[l2h] Problem with LaTeX2html/MikTeX

Andrew McArdle andrew at ajmcardle.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Jul 19 21:58:31 CEST 2005

Dear All,

I a currently investigating converting a large LaTeX document into HTML in
the hope of then converting that to Microsoft Word format, in order to allow
someone who wants to use Word to correct some work to do so.

I believe that I have all the required software (netpbm and Ghostscript),
and the progam seems to configure and install fine. However, when I run
test.bat, or pdf2latex.bat on any file it crashes like this:

<CMD.EXE>
31/33:section:."section" for node31.html
;.,;....

32/33:section:."section" for node32.html
;.,,;............

33/33:sectionstar:.."About this document ..." for node33.html
;;.

Writing image file ...

'I:\Program' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Cannot read logfile './images.log': No such file or directory

I:\Andrew\University\Pathology\Project\Write-up\LaTeX>
</CMD.EXE>

I have both Ghostscript and MikTeX installed in Program Files (which I
certainly wouldn't do now!), and am running Windows XP for what it's worth,
and because I am now on a slow connection I am not in a position to
reinstall MikTeX. I am not sure what throws up the error, and haven't had
any success in scouring the perl of latex2html.bat.

I made sure that the cfgcache.pm and prefs.pm files contained only
I:\progra~1 instead of the full path beforehand, so this isn't the cause of
the error. I have also searched for any mention of "I:\program" or
"I:\\program" in the latex2html directory and have found nothing.

Can anyone suggest where this error comes from: is it trying to find
Ghostscript or some LaTeX-related files? I looked for all mentions of system
or exec in the perl file, in the hope that I could fix the error by
double-quoting any paths, but that led me nowhere, so I am a bit stuck! Any
help you can give would be appreciated.

Am I even looking in the right place to convert LaTeX to a Word document? I
have seen some Word document converters, but I suspect the latex2html
converter will cope better with the use of packages and commands etc. Am I
right?

Thanks for your help,

Andrew