[l2h] Converting math statements only into images...

Ken Keefe kjkeefe at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 07:15:55 CET 2005

I am trying to write a simple script that does something much more basic
than latex2html and I was hoping that this list would be a good place to
get some advice. My students are creating webpage projects about
different mathematicians and obviously many of them have use for an easy
way to include various equations that involve integrals and sums and so
on. Anyway, we have been writing their equations in latex and then using
latex2html and then farming out the images. This can be a pain for
various reasons, so here is what I would rather do:

I'd like my students to write their equation in a basic latex file,
like:

  \documentclass{article}
  \begin{document}
  \[
  test(\frac{2}{3})
  \]
  \end{document}

and then have a simple script that does something like the following:

$ latex2png test.tex

I am not well versed in perl, which is making my dissection of
latex2html especially painful, but I am pretty good with BASH scripting.
So, I'm open to any suggestions. I am not against using latex2html
somehow, but I'd like to learn how to do this using latex or other basic
commands (for no reason other than I want to learn how latex2html does
it). BTW, I am using Fedora Core 4 and I want to do this all in linux
(in case that wasn't obvious).

Thanks so much for your help ahead of time!

Ken