[l2h] How do I uninstall and update LaTeX2HTML?

Lawrence Patrick Somerville l_pat_s at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 20 18:38:36 CET 2005

This is a repeat of two of my postings, only now in a plain-text format,
following the advice of someone apparently on the LaTeX2HTML e-mailing list.
  Trying to obtain the plain-text format in a Hotmail, e-mail account, I
failed in one Web browser, but succeeded in Internet Explorer 6; sorry for
any difficulties I may have caused anyone by my not using plain text in my

Hello.  With LaTeX2HTML 2002 and Netpbm 10.25-2  I had some unwanted, black
borders around some Portable/Public-Network-Graphics  (PNG) image files
containing mathematical expressions.  But I  noticed that I am not using the
  latest version of LaTeX2HTML.   So I am hoping that the problem I faced
could be  solved by upgrading  to the latest version of LaTeX2HTML in
December of the year  2005,  which I think is LaTeX2HTML 2002-2-1, right?
Perhaps also upgrading  "netpbm-progs" and the RedHat-Package-Manager (.rpm)
files to  version 10.28-1,  with what they require, from version 10.25-2
might also be good to try as well.   If these things don't eliminate  the
black borders, then I would be hoping that  changes like at
http://tug.org/mailman/htdig/latex2html/2001-March/001039.html would
eliminate them; on the other hand, changes like the ones  outlined in that
Uniform Resource Locator (URL) might have already  been implemented in
LaTeX2HTML  2002-2-1, which is a guess of mine  which may or may not be
correct.

In Fedora, Core-3 Linux  with Netpbm 10.25-2 I could not uninstall
"netpbm-progs" via clicking  the Red Hat and then selecting "Add/Remove
Applications," etc.;  I think I am supposed to first uninstall LaTeX2HTML
2002, which  uses Netbpm.  Then presumably netbpm-progs and Netbpm
10.25-2 could  be uninstalled and replaced and/or upgraded with more recent
versions of them.   So the main question here is how does one  uninstall
LaTeX2HTML 2002?  I see that  this process must involve  more than just
deleting the directory  ../latex2html-2002 because,  for example, the
LaTeX2HTML-related pstoimg files  are in my  directories /usr/bin and
/usr/local/bin.  Since "make install,"  where  the "make" is probably the
GNU "make," might have been  what put the pstoimg  file(s) in those
directories, I imagined  a command like "make uninstall" might  remove them
from those directories;  however, ../latex2html-2002/Makefile does  not have
the word "uninstall"  in it.
After uninstalling LaTeX2HTML 2002, "netpbm-progs,"  and Netbpm 10.25-2, I
presume that if a netpbm-progs, version-10.28-1  installation file can be
found,  then first netpbm-progs 10.28-1,  the .rpm files for Netpbm 10.25-2,
which  is required by the .rpm  file for Netpbm 10.28-1, and Netpbm
10.28-1 could all be  installed  (Perhaps "netpbm-progs" will turn out to be
available in a .rpm  form  as well.  It is my impression that Netpbm
10.28-1 and Netpbm  10.25-2 are  different from "netpbm progs.").  Then if
all of  that is successful, I suppose  that the installation of LaTeX2HTML
2002-2-1 would probably be very similar to  what I went through  to install
LaTeX2HTML 2002 onto my computer's hard  drive.

Alternatively  is it also possible to upgrade LaTeX2HTML without first
uninstalling  the older version of it?  If so, how is that done?  For
example,  do  old versions of files of the same names get overwritten in
all cases when trying  to install a new version over an existing  version of
LaTeX2HTML?  Thanks in  advance for your help.

Pat

Pat's follow-up posting:

I  have been using LaTeX2HTML 2002, "netbpm-progs," and Netpbm 10.25-2  in a
  Fedora, Core-3-Linux operating system.  My downloaded, LaTeX2HTML  file
was the  latex2html-2002.tar.gz, installation file obtained  by clicking on
hyperlinks  within the Web site http://www.latex2html.org/.   After
installation from within the file .../latex2html-2002/config.log  I noticed
that  executable files would be or were installed in the  directory
/usr/local/bin and  library items would be or were installed  in the
directory  /usr/local/share/lib/latex2html.  I found those  directories on
my computer and  decided that their contents appeared  to be 100-percent of
LaTeX2HTML content.   So a way I can see to  go about completely uninstaling
the program LaTeX2HTML  2002 that  I installed from the downloaded file
latex2html-2002.tar.gz would  be  to delete all of the files that were
installed in that LaTeX2HTML  installation.   Up to now, as far as I
know, this includes only  the directories  ../latex2html-2002,
/usr/local/bin, /usr/local/share/lib/latex2html,  and the  pstoimg file in
the directory /usr/bin.  I did not make  any LaTeX2HTML-related  changes
among my Fedora, Core-3-Linux environment  variables.  Is there any other
LaTeX2HTML directory or file that  would have to be deleted in order to
completely uninstall LaTeX2HTML  2002 from my computer?  In other words, am
I  missing some other  files and/or directories that could have been formed
or  copied  to my computer as a result of the commands "./config," "make,"
"make  check," "make test," and "make install?"  Naturally deleting  the
directory  ../latex2html-2002 would also delete all of its subdirectories
and their  contents, which I guess would include all of the files  generated
by the command  "make test."  Thanks in advance for  any helpful replies.

Pat