[l2h] Which L2H output files are important. How to?

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Mon Apr 26 14:06:27 CEST 2004

Hi Erling,

On 26/04/2004, at 7:18 PM, Erling D. Andersen wrote:

> Hi
>
> latex2html generates a lot of output files. Some of them are an
> important

It generates a lot more than you usually see.
Try running with -debug and then examine the directory with the .html
files!

> part of the document and some of them are not. [For instance image.pl
> is not.]

Only the .pl files are not needed for the finished job itself.

However, these .pl files are retained since they are very useful
for further development of the site.
  e.g.
    images.pl  retains information about what images have been
created, so do not need to be made again if you make any changes
and rerun the job;

   labels.pl  is useful if you want to make links into this site,
from another web-page being made with  latex2html .
It tells you the values of all NAME="..." attributes of the
anchor-points within the document; that is, places that can
be linked-to.

   images.log  is retained, since this can be useful when there
have been errors in the images, or if you want to check what
packages etc. were needed;

  contents.pl, sections.pl, index.pl, internals.pl  etc.
are generated when the pages are part of a "Segmented Document".
This is similar to LaTeX's  \includeonly{....} mechanism,
whereby a set of pages may use indexing/auxiliary information
from other runs using a different part of a multi-file
document.

> Can (or does or should)
>
> latex2html
>
> tell which files are important? [I ship my HTML document somewhere
> else i.e. uploads it to
> an server.]

> Right now my solution to that problem is starting at
>
> index.html
>
> and then see what it links in recursive way. [I have implemented
> it yet but by reading the HREFs it should  be possible to figure
> what is important.]

Only  .html .css and image files are needed for a completed site.
The other files (e.g. the .pl ones) are for other purposes, as
described above, while the site is still under construction,
or for combining the site with other sites (labels.pl).

> Regards
>
> Erling

Hope this helps,

	Ross

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au
Sydney, Australia                                  fax: +61 +2 9850 8114