[l2h] defining new commands

Ted Dustman dustman at cvrti.utah.edu
Sat Oct 25 15:23:53 CEST 2003

Hi,

I'm trying to create a command called \newmucmd (new markup command)
which generates a new inline type markup command.  I want it to take
two parameters, the name of the new markup command and the name of a
latex font style command.  The markup command generated by \newmucmd
takes one parameter which is the markup command's content.  I want this
content to be styled by  the the latex font style when processed by
latex and I want it to be styled by css using a span element with a
class name named after the markup command.  So for example, I want to
be able to say:

\newmucmd{replaceable}{textit}

then use the new command like this:

\replaceable{replace this text}

which will then be rendered as:

\textit{replace this text}

by latex, and rendered as:

by latex2html.

I've tried this:

% Define a new markup command.
\def\newmucmd#1#2{%
   \expandafter\def\csname #1\endcsname##1{%
     \latexhtml{\csname #2\endcsname{##1}}{\HTML[class=#1]{SPAN}{##1}}
   }
}

which works on the latex side but not on the latex2html side.  I'm
assuming that latex2html just can't handle my construct.  Is there a
way to make it work?

Thanks,

Ted.

Ted Dustman
University of Utah
Nora Eccles Harrison Cardiovascular Research and Training Institute
Room 104
95 South 2000 East
Salt Lake City, UT 84112-5000

e-mail:  dustman at cvrti.utah.edu