[l2h] '\\' (newline) in math-mode not working

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Mon Mar 31 23:27:55 CEST 2003

On Mon, 31 Mar 2003, Michael De Nil wrote:

> Hey
>
> I have got a latex-file with pieces of src like the following:
>
>         \item
>     	{$
>             	A =
>             	\frac{v_{out}}{v_{in}} \\=
>             	\frac{v_c}{v_b} \\=
>             	\frac{-i_c.(r_0//R_C//R_L)}{i_b.r_\pi+i_e.r_e} \\=
>             	\frac{-i_c.(r_0//R_C//R_L)}{\frac{i_c}{\beta}.r_\pi+i_c.r_e} \\=
> 		\frac{-i_c.(r_0//R_C//R_L)}{i_c.\left(\frac{r_\pi}{\beta}+r_e\right)} \\=
>             \frac{-(r_0//R_C//R_L)}{r_e'+r_e}
>         $}
>         \item
>         {$
>             	A_V=
>             	\frac{v_{out}}{v_s} =
>             	\frac{v_{out}}{v_{in}} =
>             	A =
>             	\frac{-(r_0//R_C//R_L)}{r_e'+r_e}
>         $}
>
> The formula in the upper item should be displayed with every time a
> newline between, and the second one should be printed on one line. When I
> compile the code with latex -> dvi, it looks nice,

Surely you jest.
Here you have so much mathematics that it belongs in a displayed
environment, yet you are trying to put it 'inline'.

Furthermore, you do not line up the = signs properly, and the lines are
cramped to be rather too close together.
Are you working in a narrow column ? Why else would you not allow your
inline math to use the full typesetting width that is available ?

>                  .... but a latex2html
> fails...

  Yes, because LaTeX2HTML does not recognise use of \\ within inline
math as being valid markup for mathematics. It needs to be within an
environment designed for alignment and line-breaking, otherwise it will
not be recognised the way you seem to want it to be.

> In the upper example all math is printed on one line (like it should be in
> item 2), and this runes the whole layout of the html-document. You can see
> an example on
> http://flex-it.be:8080/?target=1ge/sem2/elektronica-theorie&sv=1 , the src

You have some nice stuff here; but there's too much on a single page.
Break it up over many smaller pages.
Some of the images have poor resolution so need to be shown much larger.

Marking-up for a web-document is generally harder than marking-up for
the printed page, since the graphics model is not so sophisticated,
and the resolution is considerably lower.

> can be found on
> http://flex-it.be:8080/school/1ge/sem2/elektronica-theorie/elektronica-theorie.tar.bz2
>
> Does anyone know a work-around for this, or if it's not possable yet, you
> can see it as a feature-request ;=)

No changes are warranted, arising from this example.