[l2h] Use of \startdocument and \begin{document}

Mark Duke mark.duke at simpack.de
Tue Mar 18 10:49:12 CET 2003

Hi All,

I use both latex and latex2html to create both pdf and html manuals.
There are a lot of cross-references between the different manuals, which
works fine. I used to run latex and latex2html on HP-UX 10.2, but have
changed to a HP-UX 11 operating system. A problem has now occurred in
that the html output always contains a '1' at the top of the first page;
see the html code below. The problem occurs when my input file contains
both a \begin{document} and \startdcoument

<!--End of Navigation Panel-->

<P>

<P>

<P>

<P>
<PRE>1</PRE>

<P>

<P>

<P>

<P>

<P>

<P>
<DIV ALIGN="CENTER">

The translation works fine, and as far as I know the the
\begin{document} is required so latex runs, and the \startdcoument is
required for the generation of the .pl files to generate the labels
required for the cross-referencing. As a a workaround I could generate a
script to remove the '<PRE>1</PRE>' from the html code, but this isn't a
very pretty solution.

This problem didn't occur with HP-UX 10.2, I use perl v5.8.0 and
latex2html 2K.1beta (1.55).

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark Duke