[l2h] Relative URLs in png/gif images

Bruce Miller bruce.miller at nist.gov
Wed Jun 4 22:54:36 CEST 2003

Herb W. Swan wrote:
> LaTeX2HTML uses an absolute path name when including a gif or
> png image.  These absolute paths will break when the entire
> document is moved to a different location or a different server.
> Relative URLs would be more portable and appropriate if the user
> specifies an image path relative to the document.

I've lost track of which version is which (my RH9 installation includes
an odd, partly old version:
  This is jLaTeX2HTML Version 2002 (1.62) JA patch-1.4
but I would think the one you cite would include the modified
graphic(s|x) packages.

The _should_ generate a url to the image relative to the generated
page in cases like yours....
Unless perhaps the extra centering, or space, or probably the computed width=\foo
... or whatever is confusing latex2html enough that it's just punting to LaTeX
to process the entire environment.

Certainly in simpler cases, eg
 \includegraphics[width=anythingexplicit]{#2}
it should discover the .png, possibly do some simple image processing
(eg rotations), copy the image to destination, if needed, and
generate a relative url to it.
(omitting the image type is preferred so both LaTeX, pdflatex, latex2html, etc
can find the most appropriate type)

I apparently don't have a decent/recent version to test on, but that's
the way it was _supposed to work when I wrote it ....
(wasn't it actually _your_ original code that I adapted!)