[l2h] converting quotes

James Howison jhowison at syr.edu
Sat Aug 9 11:40:52 CEST 2003

On Saturday, August 9, 2003, at 02:53  am, Ross Moore wrote:

> On Sat, 9 Aug 2003, James Howison wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'd really like to convert the latex quotation marks, `` and '' to the
>> recommended HTML curly quotes, &#8220 instead of `` and &#8221 instead
>> of '' - standard codes that render the curly quotes beautifully.
>
> set
>  $USE_CURLY_QUOTES =1;
> in an initialisation file.

That's great Ross - it works fine.  I'm a little concerned that I found
this so hard to find in the documentation or indeed online.  In fact
this phrase is kindof a googlewhack - a word that only is indexed in
google once (and unfortunately I didn't find it because the email
writer had miss-spelled quotation!).

That won't be true after these emails are indexed though ;)  Is there
perhaps a more complete list of environment variables in the works?

http://www.google.com/search?q=$USE_CURLY_QUOTES&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Anyvay - I'm glad that this works - thanks a million.

> This is not the default, because not all browsers actually render
> these characters. (At least, that was the situation 3-4 years ago when
> the LaTex2HTML coding was written.)

As you point out that was indeed true - but the times are a-changing ;)
  It would be great to make stuff like this more visible - obviously
without forcing it on anyone.  This guy seems to have done good
research into the best way to handle this:

http://www.dwheeler.com/essays/quotes-in-html.html

Cheers
James