[l2h] Interaction with pdf-TeX

Daniel Taupin taupind at wanadoo.fr
Mon Aug 4 16:20:45 CEST 2003

Phil Lanch wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 04:42:40PM -0800, Herb W. Swan wrote:
>
>>It is apparent from looking at html.sty that various
>>latex2html commands are implemented differently, depending
>>on whether pdf-TeX is in use or not.  Yet I see no mention
>>of pdf-TeX in any of the latex2html documentation.
>

> AFAIK, latex2html doesn't use the implementations in html.sty at all, it
> uses the implementations (in Perl) in html.perl.  i think html.sty has 1
> implementation of these commands for generating PDF, which can include
> hyperlinks, and another for generating anything else, which can't.

html.sty is also needed to LaTeX files intended for latex2html, in order to get
a DVI. Note that files may fulfill two needs:
   a) standard latexing for printouts (and testing)
   b) producing HTML using latex2html.

>>It would be nice if some of my internal and external
>>hyperlinks could make it into my final pdf document.
>>(Pdf is a preferable to postscript as the final form
>>of the written document, since it more universally
>>readable.)  Has this already been implemented?
>

> you can get hyperlinks in PDF by running
>   .tex --(pdflatex)--> .pdf
> where the same latex source can also be converted to HTML with
>   .tex --(latex2html)--> .html
> OTOH, if you will loose the hyperlinks if run
>   .tex --(latex)--> .dvi --(dvips)--> .ps --(ps2pdf)--> .pdf
> which i believe is because DVI and PostScript (unlike PDF) don't have
> any concept of hyperlinks - but ICBW because i don't know much about
> this stuff.
>

>>To what extent are latex2html and pdf-TeX compatible?
>

> as above, you can use both of them with the same source file.
>

>>Would I be able to insert my figures into my final
>>pdf file if I used pdf-TeX in conjunction with
>>latex2html?
>

> i don't know if you can do that (or if you really want to).

   Daniel Taupin, 91400 ORSAY - France
   E-mail= mailto:taupind at wanadoo.fr
   Home/fax: (33)1.60.10.26.44. Rep.: (33)1.60.10.04.13, fax (work)
(33)1.69.15.60.86