[l2h] Interaction with pdf-TeX

Phil Lanch phil at subtle.clara.co.uk
Mon Aug 4 00:08:19 CEST 2003

On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 04:42:40PM -0800, Herb W. Swan wrote:

> It is apparent from looking at html.sty that various
> latex2html commands are implemented differently, depending
> on whether pdf-TeX is in use or not.  Yet I see no mention
> of pdf-TeX in any of the latex2html documentation.

AFAIK, latex2html doesn't use the implementations in html.sty at all, it
uses the implementations (in Perl) in html.perl.  i think html.sty has 1
implementation of these commands for generating PDF, which can include
hyperlinks, and another for generating anything else, which can't.

> It would be nice if some of my internal and external
> hyperlinks could make it into my final pdf document.
> (Pdf is a preferable to postscript as the final form
> of the written document, since it more universally
> readable.)  Has this already been implemented?

you can get hyperlinks in PDF by running
  .tex --(pdflatex)--> .pdf
where the same latex source can also be converted to HTML with
  .tex --(latex2html)--> .html
OTOH, if you will loose the hyperlinks if run
  .tex --(latex)--> .dvi --(dvips)--> .ps --(ps2pdf)--> .pdf
which i believe is because DVI and PostScript (unlike PDF) don't have
any concept of hyperlinks - but ICBW because i don't know much about
this stuff.

> To what extent are latex2html and pdf-TeX compatible?

as above, you can use both of them with the same source file.

> Would I be able to insert my figures into my final
> pdf file if I used pdf-TeX in conjunction with
> latex2html?

i don't know if you can do that (or if you really want to).

--
Phil Lanch                    0xD78D598DA6635CF32AB24593C98994B7D95B33E3
                      (though i can't remember the passphrase right now)