[l2h] eps rotation

Eugene Chudakov echudakov at cox.net
Mon Apr 28 02:01:12 CEST 2003

Hello,

I have problems with rotated eps pictures.  I am using
jLaTeX2HTML Version 2002 (1.62) JA patch-1.4.
I found that other people had raised similar questions, about
a year ago and earlier. The problem is that for
\includegraphics*{scale=whatever,angle=xx}{tst.eps},
where xx!=0, the calculation of the picture size is broken,
and the picture becomes more narrow than it should be.
(I must say that I studied the problem purely empirically).
At +/-90 deg. the picture becomes as narrow as a line and ,
naturally, disappears.

The message is:
Running "/usr/bin/pnmcrop -verbose  < /tmp/l2h24679/p24694.pnm |
/usr/bin/ppmquant -floyd 256 | /usr/bin/pnmtopng -interlace -trans
'#ffffff'  > img1.png"
pnmcrop: Background color is gray70
pnmcrop: The image is entirely background; there is nothing to crop.
ppmquant: EOF / read error reading magic number
pnmtopng: EOF / read error reading magic number
pstoimg: Error: "/usr/bin/pnmcrop -verbose  < /tmp/l2h24679/p24694.pnm |
/usr/bin/ppmquant -floyd 256 | /usr/bin/pnmtopng -interlace -trans
'#ffffff'  > img1.png" failed: Illegal seek

In fact, the image is not "entirely background", just the window
reserved for the image does not overlap with  any part of it at 90 deg.

A close result (picture disappearance)
happens, when angle=0, but scale>something. This is also
strange, since an HTML page can be very large, but is not
particularly annoying. Rotation, in contrast, is often important.
I have to translate to HTML a very large document with
plenty of rotated pictures, and, furthermore, it is a growing
document, with more potentially rotated pictures arriving.
At angle=0 these pictures are harder to see, unless one
can turn the computer monitor as easy as a sheet of paper.

In a message from  Fri, 22 Mar 2002 08:06:02, Ross Moore
suggested to use \framebox{} around \includegraphics{}.
It indeed works, but adds an empty space as large as the picture
itself - at least in my example.

Is there now a better solution for this problem? I would
appreciate very much an advice on this matter.
The tex code I used for the tests is included below,
while the test eps picture is in the attachment.

Thanks,
Eugene Chudakov

\documentclass[12pt,letterpaper]{report}
\usepackage{color}
\usepackage{graphicx}
\begin{document}
\section{Test of eps}
This is a test of eps conversion in LaTeX2HTML.
 \begin{figure}[bht]
    \begin{center}
        \includegraphics*[scale=0.3,angle=-90]{tst.eps}
    \end{center}
    \caption{Graphics test.}
    \label{fig:tsts_gr}
 \end{figure}