[l2h] hyperref.sty vs. html.sty: "\textunderscore undefined"

Ross Moore ross@ics.mq.edu.au
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 20:54:29 +1000 (EST)

> I often use the construct (from html.sty)
>
> 	\htmladdnormallinkfoot{description}{http://www.somewhere.org/\~{}name/file\_name.html}
>
> (Note the quoted '~' and '_'.)  This has been working fine for some years.

In which order did you load the packages ?

If you do
 \usepackage{hyperref}
 \usepackage{html}

Then it should work OK, since there is coding in  html.sty  to
check whether hyperref has been loaded already, and act accordingly.

If you load the other way around, then there is no such checking,
so far as I'm aware.

> Today I tried using the hyperref package for the first time, and I ran into
> the error  "\textunderscore undefined" at '\_'.  After some Web searching
> and general futzing around, I seem to have come up with the following
> workaround:
>
> 	\htmladdnormallinkfoot{description}{\url{http://www.somewhere.org/~name/file_name.html}}

You don't need the  \url ; indeed it is just plain wrong,
so I'm surprised to here you say that it works.