[l2h] Latex2html (forwarded by Ross)

Steve Mayer Steve Mayer" <mayer@dial.pipex.com
Sun, 8 Sep 2002 20:45:53 +0100

> From: William Furley <william.furley@urz.uni-heidelberg.de>
>
> may I trouble you with a pesky question and request for help?
>
> I have endless trouble with image conversion using latex2html on
> Windows XP operating system. This is no new problem; on previous
> Windows versions the same problem has plagued me: Ghostscript returns
> message `no such file or directory' (i.e. can't find images for
> conversion).
>
> Here is the excerpt from log after running with -debug:
>

> **********************************
>
> Converting image #2
> Debug (syswait): Running "c:\Programme\Perl\bin\perl.exe
C:\programme\latex2html\bin\pstoimg.bat -type png -debug -tmp
c:\TEMP\l2h1512 -discard -interlace -antialias -depth 1 -scale
1.6 -geometry 37x15 -margins 103,72 -crop abl -transparent -out img2.png
c:\TEMP\l2h1512\image002.ps"
> pstoimg.bat V2002-2 (Revision 1.16, Perl 5.006001)
> pstoimg.bat: Temporary directory is c:\TEMP\l2h1512
> pstoimg.bat: Processing c:\TEMP\l2h1512\image002.ps
> pstoimg.bat: EPSF dimensions are 41x21
> pstoimg.bat: Running
c:\gs\gs7.03\bin\gswin32c.exe  -sDEVICE=ppmraw -g66x34  -r115 -dTextAlph
aBits=4  -sOutputFile=c:\TEMP\l2h1512\p1100.pnm
> GS>-102 -700 translate
> GS>(c:/TEMP/l2h1512/image002.ps) run
> GS>showpage
> GS>quit
>
> AFPL Ghostscript 7.03 (2001-10-20)
> Copyright (C) 2001 artofcode LLC, Benicia, CA.  All rights reserved.
> This software comes with NO WARRANTY: see the file PUBLIC for details.
> GS>Running "c:\Programme\netPBM\bin\pnmcrop.exe  <
c:\TEMP\l2h1512\p1100.pnm > c:\TEMP\l2h1512\p1100.t01"
> pstoimg.bat: Error: "c:\Programme\netPBM\bin\pnmcrop.exe  <
c:\TEMP\l2h1512\p1100.pnm > c:\TEMP\l2h1512\p1100.t01" failed: No such
file or directory

> Error while converting image

> -- and it isn't true that the temp file doesn't exist: after
>    checking, the file has been generated by dvips (in this case
>    p1100.pnm in the correct temp directory).
>
> The installation procedure all works fine and dandy; all the support
> programmes are recognized (including Ghostscript and Ghostscript
> paths). So WHY does Ghostscript fail to cooperate with latex2html?
> Ghostscript works correctly with other programmes (MikTeX and
> Ghostview). As I say, I've had this problem repeatedly; on previous
> occasions, by endless fiddling and reinstalling of programmes, the
> thing has miraculously worked. But I've drawn a blank so far. There
> might be other Windows-TeX users in the same fix.
>
> Bill Furley

This is a problem reported by a number of people over the years as a
trawl through the archives at http://tug.org/pipermail/latex2html/ will
show. It doesn't seem to have been satisfactorily resolved yet with a
clear fix. It has always worked fine for me on Windows 98 so it's very
difficult for me to see what the problem is.

As a first attempt it might be a good idea to re-install latex2html,
netpbm and perl to directories with short names ie 8 characters or less.
This would at least eliminate this as a suspect. In my case I have put
latex2html in d:\l2h and netpbm at d:\l2h\netpbm and d:\l2h\perl. Luis
Seidel at http://www.mayer.dial.pipex.com/l2h.htm uses c:\texutils\l2h,
c:\texutils\netpbm and c:\perl.

Also you might want to post config.log here in case someone spots
something odd in it.

It would be nice to nail this problem once and for all.

Steve Mayer