[l2h] cannot find file in \input

Ross Moore ross@ics.mq.edu.au
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 20:29:24 +1100 (EST)

Hello Ger,

> The option -debug learned me that texexpand does not take TEXINPUTS
> into account, but seems to use a more or less predefined path.

Yes; your analysis is absolutely correct.

> Now is my question:
>
> Can I tell latex2html to look into 199.dir to find taql.tex or do
> I need to change the \input line into \input{199.dir/taql.tex} ?
> The latter would be tedious, because there are many more such files.

 You could use conditional commands to \input from different directories
when using LaTeX2HTML, and when not.
But yes, this is tedious.

Much more elegant is to set the $TEXINPUTS Perl variable
in a .latex2html-init file for your job.

> Another question is why latex2html does not take TEXINPUTS into account
> anymore. It used to do it.

It doesn't do it (and has not since 1998 or 1999) since typically
the TEXINPUTS variable is set (rightly or wrongly) to include the whole
 texmf/  tree. It is then very easy to pick up the wrong .tex file
in many situations.

Furthermore, it is quite typical that files that are expected to be
found via the TEXINPUTS environment variable contain code that is quite
irrelevant to an HTML translation. This is the same reason that .sty files
are typically not loaded.

The Perl $TEXINPUTS variable serves the desired purpose.
The need to set it separately requires the author to think about whether
the commands in their \input files will have proper HTML support for the
macros that they define, or whether more work needs to be done to obtain
a sensible translation.