[l2h] Macro and best-solution for URL

Ross Moore ross@ics.mq.edu.au
Sat, 9 Nov 2002 10:37:57 +1100 (EST)

hello Ben,

you wrote:

> Macro are not analysed by latex2html and definitions are lost. For
> instance,
> \newcommand{\email}[1]{\htmladdnormallink{#1}{mailto:#1}}
>
> and then \email{latex2html@tug.org}
> produce only the argument (latex2html@tug.org in that case)
> in basic HTML text inside the final HTML document.

Macro definitions are certainly supposed to be recognised.
That is a basic part of LaTeX2HTML, and any TeX-like system.

If it didn't work for you, then there should have been some messages
in the output-log, when you ran the job.

Presumably it quite a long involved job, and so it is possible for
various things to have gone wrong.

> Is-it possible to define very simple macro or to provide a definition of
> those macro for latex2html ?

In fact \email is already defined for LaTeX2HTML, as part of the way
to specify author information in the top-matter of a document.
This is similar to \address as used in AMS document classes.

e.g.

\title{My Document Title}
\author{This is me}
\address{Where I live\\city and state}
\email{myemail@dom.org}

\maketitle

It is not advisable to redefine built-in commands of LaTeX2HTML.
Since the processing order is different to other TeX-like programs
it is hard to predict the consequences.

> Moreover, what is the best solution to manage URL :
> the html package ? the url package ? href package ? another package ?

The html package provides very useful constructions for using hyperlinks
in HTML documents.
It also provides "Conditional Code" constructions,  that allow for different
definitions according to what processor is being used with to process your
document source.

Have you seen the online documentation?
Visit  www.latex2html.org  to find it.

> (well for the moment, we are building pdf document and for that we use href but with
> some macro so if we have to change all of that, let's do it cleanly -
> our only prerequisite is that it works with pdflatex too ;-)

Sure. You will need to experiment a bit, and be prepared to adjust macro expansions
to adapt to what works best in the different settings.
That's why the "Conditional Code" constructions of the  html  package are so useful.