[l2h] Book recommendations anyone?

Dave Cole djc@object-craft.com.au
20 May 2002 23:43:57 +1000

Fred> Dave Cole writes:
>> I have been using latex2html to document my Python modules but want
>> to do some work on the format of listings included from a file
>> (amongst other things).  Blind fiddling is no longer cutting it so
>> I am going to have to learn more about latex2html, Tex, and LaTeX.

Fred> Are you using the tools for formatting the Python documentation?
Fred> What would you do differently?

A few things have me stumped:

1) \verbatiminput does not use the same size font as \verbatim.  It
   does not indent the same, and the Python tools use `basename`.txt
   to build a "download as text" file.  When you have more than one
   file which differ only in suffix, this is a problem.

   Check this out for an example:
   http://www.object-craft.com.au/projects/albatross/albatross/tug-simple2.html

   There are two files; simple.html and simple.py.

2) The argument list formatting for methoddesc (and others) does not
   wrap long argument lists.

   Check this out:
   http://www.object-craft.com.au/projects/albatross/albatross/pack-simplesessapp.html

   The PDF document truncates the argument list.

3) The List of Figures is a bit non-functional in HTML (probably my
   fault).

There are other things which I want to have a fiddle with, but they
are not really problems.

Fred> If you're not using the tools that come with the Python source
Fred> distribution to format the documentation, please take a look at
Fred> those; you can find some documentation for the markup we use in
Fred> "Documenting Python", included as part of the standard
Fred> documentation.

The stuff which comes with Python is awesome.

- Dave

--
http://www.object-craft.com.au