[l2h] questions about making perl style files and defining sectioning commands

Rita Bijlsma bijr@oce.nl
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 18:37:32 +0200

   Dear latex2html creators,

    I'm very happy with your program. And I have some questions:

  - I used a \newcommand{} to define a command to be a sectioning
    command, like:

             \newcommand{\bar}[1]{\section*{#1}...more code}

    And latex2html could not cope with it. I think this is because
    first all newcommands are read, then splitting on sections is
    performed and then newcommands are processed, so for my sectioning
    command it is too late. ( But I'm not sure, I even had to learn perl
    to read latex2html)

    How could I solve this?

  - I would like to define some of my latex style files in perl for latex2html.
    As examples I checked what was already there, e.g.:

        sub do_cmd_H{join('',"H", $_[0]);}

    Why does this command get as its argument the whole rest of the textpartition?
    For me it would be easier if commands would just get all their real LaTeX
    arguments and in the perl command definition I would only have to define a
    command in terms of more basic perl commands.
    I would think that with some greppes of $next_pair_rx until there is none more
    at every command this would easily be accomplished. But I don't know anything
    about speed or ...?
    I'm curious as to what is the reason and would like some suggestions on how
    to easily program latex2html style files.

  - A question about perl:

      join('', &do_cmd_arabic("${O}0${C}chapter${O}0$C"), ".", @_[0]) }

    why is @_[0] used and not $_[0] ?
    I understand that the former would be an array partition of 1, but why?

  - An other question about perl:

       local($_) = @_;

    What does this do?  Isn't the left side a scalar, which could cause loss
    of arguments if the argumentlist is longer than 1 ?

                             Thanks very much for any help!

                                                          Rita Bijlsma

--
  Rita Bijlsma   BijR@oce.nl   tel: (31) 77 359 4797   loc: 3G.62.3 R&D