[l2h] Harvard/ natbib bibliography format problem

Denis Crowdy dcrowdy@pip.hmn.mq.edu.au
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 16:30:49 +1100

Hi,

I have come across a problem with latex2html when converting a
bibliography in harvard format.  A quick example:

An entry like this is fine -

Niles D (1996) `Questions of music copyright in Papua New Guinea',
Perfect Beat, 2(4), pp. 58-62

but an entry with a punctuation character in the title causes a
problem -

Neuenfeldt K (1998) `Grassroots,
rock(s), and reggae: Music and mayhem at the Port Moresby show', The Contemporary Pacific, 10(2), pp. 317-343

I have removed some of the punctuation characters in the regular
expression in line 941 of natbib.bib as a nasty hack that reduces the
number of incorrect entries:

# Look for the year followed by anything and a punctuation character or newline
	local ($found)= /$numyear(.*?)[,]/s;

I'd really like to find a way of fixing this more elegantly (an
adjective I can't describe my own perl skills with...)

I use a custom bibliography style that conforms to a journal we
publish here so maybe that's the problem.

Thanks in advance

Denis Crowdy

--
Department for Contemporary Music Studies
Macquarie University