[l2h] Support for a cross-platform HTML document viewer application (and .hhc files)

Volker Simonis simonis@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 11:04:00 +0200

Hi Rob, hi Ross,

perhaps you remember that on Wed, 26 Jun 2002 I posted a message on this list
with  the subject: "Re: [l2h] Interaction between 'show_section_numbers' and
'short_index'" in which i wrote the following:

..
Ok, perhaps I should explain what I am really doing. I'm writing some scripts
which take the L2H output and generate the XML-files needed for the JavaHelp
system (JavaHelp is a HTML-based Help system for Java-Programs, which needs
some additional XML configuration files for generating a Table Of Contents
View, an Index View and so on (see http://java.sun.com/products/javahelp/))
..
I also wanted to ask you what do you think about incorporating my scripts
which generate the JavaHelp XML configuration files into L2H. Currently they
are written in AWK, but if you see a chance to take this extensions into the
main distribution, I could eventually reprogram them in Perl. I think the
extensions are non-intrusive and would just add some more switches to L2H
which in turn would lead to the generation of some xml-files. If yo're
interested in the topic I can supply you with some more information about
JavaHelp and how to create JavaHelp systems from LaTeX files with the help of
L2H.
..

It seems to me that JavaHelp and HelpView are quite similar systems.
Meanwhile I extended my scripts to also produce the XML-files needed for the
Index View of Java Help out of the various .pl files produced by L2H.
Unfortunately my scripts are still written in AWK.

My question is now: will the format of the various .pl files produced by L2H
be stable in the future? This will be on of the main conditions for the
implementation of the proposed postprocessor for generating the HelpView (and
eventually the JavaHelp) configuration files.

Volker Simonis