[l2h] recent unsolicited emails

Ross Moore ross@ics.mq.edu.au
Tue, 23 Apr 2002 08:52:18 +1000 (EST)

Hi all.

You have probably noticed a few message recently on topics unrelated
to LaTeX2HTML appearing on this this.

This is an unfortunate consequence of the freedom that we allow for
anyone to post messages to this list, or for anyone to join the list
(perhaps just temporarily to post then leave it again).

Let me assure you that there *is* a spam filter which detects and rejects
a lot more (probably 95%+ of) attempts to send unsolicited emails to this list.
Also, I've added patterns that hopefully will stop the recent perpetrators.
We'll just have to see whether they try it again.

Last week, someone on this list filed a report to something called  SpamCop
(see below).  I don't know what are the consequences of being listed as a
 *spamvertised* website.
Surely the polite action would have been to notify the list-manager first.
Give us a chance to tackle the problem within the framework that exists already.
Only when no action is taken or problems persist, should there be a need to take it
outside the list.

All the best,