[l2h] A small extension for the docu

Bruce Miller bruce.miller@nist.gov
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 11:16:53 -0400

That's sorta right, but ....
Actually, I wrote the code for graphicx that's currently in l2h, h
but it was never intended to handle graphics (S not X).
I've submitted an improved version that handles both packages,
and also attempts to handle all options via netpbm calls.
[and all such attempts can be disabled or punted to LaTeX
as traditionally was done in l2h]

Ross, in addition to being swamped, is understandably worried
about the possible additional netpbm dependencies, given the
amount of difficulties we've had with various recent versions.
(changes to args & responses, ...)

OTOH, the current setup has caused several people problems too.
So, I'd suggest either moving forward or back, but not leave it
like it is.

FWIW: The current graphic{s|x} code uses the following tools
with options:
  pnmpad -white -l # -t # -r # -b #
  pnmcut -l # -t # -w # -h #
  pnmscale -width # -height #
  pnmrotate #
  pnmflip -xy -tb -lr
Is anybody familiar enough with netpbm to know whether these
commands, options (& thier behaviors!) are likely to be consistent
over enough recent versions to be "safe" ?

--
Bruce Miller