[l2h] alternative icons for navigation

Ross Moore ross@ics.mq.edu.au
Fri, 7 Sep 2001 09:24:36 +1000 (EST)

> I'd like to use alternative icons for the navigation. (Something like an up-arrow, left-arrow and right-arrow for "up", "back" and "next".)
> I found the original icons in the "icons"-subdirectory, and I found the specification of the icon-sizes in l2hconf.pin.
> Have I to reinstall l2h with a changed version of l2hconf.pin? A change of these values seems to have no effect. (But the function of l2hconf.pin is not clear to me.)

.pin  stands for  Perl source for the INstallation program.
These files are not used directly by LaTeX2HTML.
Instead the installation program reads them and creates a corresponding .pm version,
customised for your site.
Do   diff l2hconf.pm  l2hconf.pin
to see what has been customised for your site.

For alternative icons, you'll need to specify the names and sizes.
It does not have to be done in the  l2hconf  files, though you
can do it there, if you wish.
You can do it locally in a  .latex2html-init file, so that the
changes refer only to documents processed in the directory where
that file resides, or you can load a special init-file using the
 -init_file  command-line option.

Also, you should look at the Perl subroutine that places the
navigation icons. You can edit this; e.g. to change the order,
or add extra HTML markup for lines/colours/background image, etc.

There is a variable  $ALTERNATIVE_ICONS  which should be set to
the URL to find your new set. This means that you can use your
customised icons *without* overwriting the standard set,
which can still live in $ICONSOURCE .

The l2hconf  files have notes on this.
 -- and give the correct spellings, if my memory is hazy. :)