[l2h] Subscripts without math mode?

Bruce Miller bruce.miller@nist.gov
Tue, 30 Oct 2001 11:35:07 -0500

Molly Weems wrote:

> Is there any way to get latex2html to *not* go into math mode when
> it encounters a superscript or subscript? I have a series of documents
> that are liberally sprinkled with simple subscripts like C_b or L_wl.
> Unfortunately, latex2html converts every one of these into an image.
> This means that the conversion takes a long time, the number of image
> files is huge, the resulting HTML is unsearchable, and the display is
> ugly.

Ross will probably jump in with the exact answer and details,
but I'll try to point you in the right direction.

Since LaTeX, itself, always goes into math mode for sub/superscripts,
you're kinda stuck there.  But what you really want is to use

There are a set of options that configure l2h to do as much math
in html as it can, rather than use images for all math.

I've forgotten the options, but it involves the selection of the
type of html, something like "html4,math" or something...
You'll find it in the manual, once you ask the `right question' :>