[l2h] tex2im

Ross Moore ross@ics.mq.edu.au
Sat, 6 Oct 2001 11:28:40 +1000 (EST)

> Hi Ross and all,
> I have just seen this project on freshmeat:
>
> http://freshmeat.net/projects/tex2im/
>
> tex2im use Latex and part of imagemagic to convert formulas to images.
>
> Do you think that the inclusion of this utility in the Linux version of l2h
> could accelerate the conversion of documents? Have you ever tested it? The main

It does one LaTeX run for each image,
rather than a single run for all images.

So I don't see how it could be faster.

Also, it removes the .log file afterwards, which prevents LaTeX2HTML
from finding information that it needs for good placement
of the resulting images on the HTML page.

That's easily fixed, but extra LaTeX source is needed to make some
images align correctly on the HTML page.

> problem is that it only works under linux but if it works, this could be an
> option for the linux version of l2h?

It's certainly possible that  ImageMagik could be used
as a substitute for NetPBM.
This works on more than just Linux, I believe.

However, the  tex2im  is not sophisticated enough in the LaTeX code
that it uses, for what is needed with LaTeX2HTML.

> Murat

Thanks for showing me this,

	Ross Moore