[l2h] LaTeX2HTML confused when using input from subdir?

Ross Moore ross@ics.mq.edu.au
Thu, 22 Nov 2001 08:29:43 +1100 (EST)

> Hi,
>
> SOME INFO:
>
> - Windows 2000 Service Pack 2
> - Perl 5.6.1 from ActiveState
> - latex2html.pin,v 1.58 2001/11/14 01:34:26
>
> ISSUE:
>
> When I create a very simple document structure but with input seperated
> over multiple files (and a subdir), this is enough to confuse latex2html.
> If I keep everything in the same file, the problem does not occur. LaTeX
> itself has no problem whatsoever with the seperation over multiple files.
>
> EXAMPLE:
>
> #########  begin doc.tex
> \documentclass{report}
>
> \begin{document}
> \part{History of the world}

> \input{part1/beginning}
> \end{document}
> #########  end doc.tex
>
> #########  begin part1/beginning.tex
> \chapter{In the beginning...}
> \section{Hello world}
> #########  end part1/beginning.tex
>
> When I run this trough LaTeX:

> Doing .\part1/beginning.tex
        ^^^^

This is wrong. It should be either:
   .\/part1/beginning.tex
   or  ./part1/beginning.tex

So something has changed with the installation for Win2000.

My guess is that LaTeX2HTML is installing Win2000 in a similar way
to earlier versions of Win??? --- that is, using the Win32 module.

Perhaps Win2000 is actually more like Unix now ?
(That would be a good thing.)

> 2/6:part:.
>
> *** no brace for \part , before:
> 1/beginning.tex#
> *** using "1" as the argument instead; is this correct?  ***

Of course this is quite spurious.

The  texexpand  utility hasn't worked correctly, because it
hasn't found the file  part1/beginning.tex
(it was looking for  \part1/beginning.tex ).

To verify this, run your job with  -debug :

  latex2html  -debug -verbosity 2  doc.tex

You should then get some tracings from  texexpand
saying what it includes or rejects, and what it's looking for.

Also, you will be able to see the result in   doc/TMP/doc.tex
and smaller pieces, in   doc/TMP/part001.tex, doc/TMP/part002.tex, ...

>  ."1" for node2.html
> ;;
>
> 3/6:chapter:.."In the beginning..." for node3.html
> ;;
>
> 4/6:section:..."Hello world" for node4.html
> ;;
>
> 5/6:part:.
>
> *** no brace for \part , before:
> 1/beginning.tex#
> *** using "1" as the argument instead; is this correct?  ***
>
>  ."1" for node5.html

> REMARK:
>
> I've also tried this document on a Debian Linux system using LaTeX2HTML
> Version 2K.1beta (1.48). The document is translated correctly here.

Yes.
The problem is because the Win2000 version has not been installed
correctly. It's  $dd  (directory-delimiter)  variable has not been
set correctly  --- at least, that's my diagnosis from the evidence
that you have presented so far.

Since I do not run such an installation, hopefully someone else
can investigate further and provide a module  L2hos/Win2000.pm
to be used instead of   L2hos/Win32.pm  when appropriate.

Thanks for reporting this problem.

Hope this helps.

	Ross Moore