[l2h] How do I use an EPS in PDF and HTML?

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Fri, 30 Mar 2001 16:21:22 -0500 (EST)

Dave Cole writes:
 > The final piece in the puzzle was the line:
 >
 > \usepackage[pdftex]{graphicx}
 >
 > I had originally used the following line:
 >
 > \usepackage[dvips]{graphicx}

  Is there a way to get things to work with both pdftex and dvips
without changing the document?  I want to be able to use both without
changing the document.

 > Being a new user in the LaTeX / TeX community, can someone suggest
 > some places on the web where I can start learning how to solve my own
 > problems.
 >
 > For the Python programmers out there I am wondering if package
 > documentation something like the following exists:
 >
 >         http://www.python.org/doc/current/modindex.html

  I too would love to see something like this for LaTeX packages!  It
might be out there, but I don't know where to look.

 > BTW, all of that Python documentation was produced using latex2html.

  Most of it but, oddly enough, not the specific file you pointed to.
;-)  That was generated by post-processing two files of similar names
in the subdirs and re-writing the URLs with a Python script.  The
"body" of the indexes (both General and Module) were constructed using
a Python script that scarfs up a bunch of data that the LaTeX2HTML
integration code for my document classes spits out.
  On the whole, I've been reasonably impressed by LaTeX2HTML -- it
does a pretty good job of chunking things up, and is sufficiently
configurable via Perl code that I can make it do what I want most of
the time.  Ross & others in this forum have definately been a great
help -- I would not have been able to twist l2h to my needs without
their assistance.
  That said, I still plan on moving away from LaTeX as a source format
in the medium term.  There are increasing numbers of documentation
contributors who don't have LaTeX installed on their systems or don't
have the time to learn the markup that something else is called for.
I suspect  many people here have seen this: as documentation projects
grow from something small (a few HTML pages) to something of
reasonable size, LaTeX starts to look quite attractive -- you can get
nice output for print & HTML with less work.  But as the resulting set
of documentation grows further and the number of contributors goes up,
it gets difficult for the editor to keep up with all the ways they can
break the markup.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>