[l2h] Minor installation problem (2K.1beta)

Graham Gough graham@cs.man.ac.uk
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 08:52:20 +0000

    RM> No.  ICONPATH and ICONSERVER are completely independent bits
    RM> of information.

    RM> ICONSERVER is the http path to be used for absolute links to
    RM> icons from within your HTML pages.

    RM> ICONPATH is the location in your local file-system where the
    RM> icons are stored, from which copies are made when you process
    RM> a job using
    RM>  -local_icons .

    RM> Neither is deducible from the other.

I find it difficult to believe that Ross is wrong, but this is at
variance to what the file prefs.pm says:-

# This is how the LaTeX2HTML icons can be accessed from your HTTP server.
# It must be a valid URL on the server you are going to put your converted
# documents. Examples:
#   Relative: /icons/latex2html
#   Absolute: http://myserver.net/icons
# Note that this setting should be consistent with the following
# setting ICONSTORAGE.
# If left empty, an appropriate file: URL is assumed. This will show
# the icons o.k. on your local host, but won't work across the Web.
$prefs{'ICONPATH'} = 'http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/software/latex2html/icons';

# This is the directory where the icons have to be copied so that they
# can be accessed with the path given above. Keep this empty if you do
# not want the icons to be installed in your Web server area.
# However, the icons are installed in LIBDIR/icons, no matter what.
$prefs{'ICONSTORAGE'} = '';

and l2hconf.pin has the line

$ICONSERVER = '@ICONPATH@';

Maybe my problem is related to the lines in prefs.pm which say:-

# The file prefs.pm contains user-configurable stuff for DOS platforms.
# UNIX users can override the settings with the configure utility (preferred).

which suggests that prefs.pm isn't used on Unix platforms. However, in
the UNIX section of the INSTALL file it tells you to edit prefs.pm,

It would appear that there is some confusion here, and I don't think
it's all mine, although I'm perfectly prepared to believe that
some/most of it is!

Regards

Graham