[l2h] LaTeX2HTML-2K for Win32: thanks, and a question

Ross Moore ross@ics.mq.edu.au
Sat, 3 Mar 2001 09:52:05 +1100 (EST)

> Ross Moore wrote:
> >
> > > I have recently installed latex2html-2K.1beta and MiKTeX 2.0 on
> > > a PC running Windows NT4, following the excellent instructions
> > > in the guide written by Luis Seidel Gomez de Quero and Steve
> > > Mayer (version 1.4 February 2000).  I am running ActivePerl
> > > 5.6.0.623.
> >
> > Is there an easy URL for this, to link to from various L2H sites?
>
> I got ActivePerl for Windows from
>
> http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl/download.html

It was the guide by de Quero and Mayer that I was interested in.
Where is this to be found?

> > > I normally process my LaTeX files to .dvi keeping any included
> > > .eps graphics in the same input directory as my .tex source.
> > > When converting the same .eps graphics into .gif images,
> > > latex2html-2K.1beta is looking for them only in the output
> > > subdirectory (where it writes images.tex), not in the input
> > > directory. This makes it necessary to copy the .eps input files
> > > into the output subdirectory before running latex2html, or to
> > > run it with $NO_SUBDIR = 1; (both work around the issue, but
> > > running with the default settings and all of my .tex and .eps
> > > files in the same input directory fails because latex2html
> > > cannot find the .eps files during the image conversion step).
> >
> > Are you using  \includegraphics from the graphics/graphicx
> > LaTeX packages ?
> > This has code to take into account that extra directory level.
>
> No, I was using the epsf.sty and calling the files with epsffile.
> I saw that you had an epsfig.perl that says it implements epsf.sty,
> so I was soldiering on with it.
>
> I think the "problem" in the Win32 version arises when latex2html
> runs LaTeX on images.tex, which is in the subdirectory if you have

Yes, there are 2 places where the .eps files need to be accessed.

Firstly, TeX (or LaTeX2HTML) needs to access them to read size information
for typesetting --- this is handled correctly whether you use epsf.sty
or \includegraphics.

Secondly, is when dvips need to find them for inclusion into a .ps file.
This is where you run into a problem, due to working within a subdirectory.

My work-around is to run LaTeX2HTML once, so that the directory is created
and most of the translation is done. Then I make symbolic links of all
the .eps files into that directory, then rerun LaTeX2HTML.

Now all the images are found and the translation can be completed.
Generally you will need to fix a few things in your LateX source,
so running a 2nd, and subsequent times, is no problem.

> set $NO_SUBDIR = 0;  At that point it needs to "remember" that the
> .eps graphics were in the home directory.  It still works fine for
> me if I have pre-copied the .eps files to the subdirectory, or if I
> use $NO_SUBDIR = 1;, so I am sure this is a path problem.  But I am
> not very familiar with Perl or with the innards of latex2html so
> I'm leery of trying to hack on this myself.
>
> I'll experiment with \includegraphics to see if that also works around
> this ok.  It would of course be nice for the vanilla epsf call also
> to work in Win32 with latex2html and $NO_SUBDIR = 0;

It is the symbolic-link step which is missing.
However some systems do not support sym-links;
for these you must copy the files to the subdirectory,
or use a variable to specify the search path...

> > You can set environment variables within the .latex2html-init
> > file for your job. (Certainly this works for Unix; with NT, I don't
> > have the relevant experience, sorry.)
> >

> Which environment variable would I set in order to address this?

 ... TEXPSHEADERS may work on some systems, using teTeX .
For other TeX installations you'll need to explore the documentation
to see if there is one available for  dvips  to use.