[l2h] Re: latex2html Runaway argument?

Ross Moore ross@ics.mq.edu.au
Mon, 4 Jun 2001 22:00:32 +1000 (EST)

> Hi,
>
> I came across your messages while doing a search to find a solution to
> a latex2html image problem that results in the messages:
>
> ! Argument of \Gin@iii has an extra }.
> <inserted text>
>                 \par
> l.148 \lthtmlcheckvsize\clearpage}
>
> I've run across a }' that doesn't seem to match anything.
> Runaway argument?
>
> This appears to be the same problem morten is having.

Yes; you are including .ps images, stored at the same level
as the LaTeX source ?

The solution that I usually use is to allow LaTeX2HTML
to run once, so that the directory containing the HTML pages
is created, and any other images of math are generated.

Now go into that directory and create symbolic links to the
missing .eps files; e.g.

  ln -s ../*.eps .

That's assuming that the source directory is indeed just one level up.
If you are using a $TMP directory, this is not true; but an appropriate
link should still allow the .eps files to be found.

Now  cd  back to the source directory and run LaTeX2HTML again.
Only missing images should be generated, including those that require
the .eps files.  If there are still errors on this run, then just
do it again; certainly all should be OK after that 3rd run.

Note that all the previous images do not need to be recreated,
so that the 2nd and 3rd runs are much quicker than the 1st.

> The funny thing is that latex2html worked fine. Then I added a new
> image and noticed the problem. Because of latex2html re-using old
> images I'm not sure when the problem started (removing the new
> image didn't fix the problem - neither did reinstalling latex2html).
>
> >From what I can tell, the examples distributed with latex2html work ok.
> My latex input also generates a correct .ps file (using dvips),
> including the images.

An alternative solution is to put a  \graphicspath  command in your source
document, saying where the .eps images are to be found.
Of course including a full path reduces the portability of your LaTeX source.
That's why use of \graphicspath is not the *obvious* solution to this.