[l2h] date format for each language

Ross Moore ross@ics.mq.edu.au
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 07:58:54 +1000 (EST)

> I am using latex2html-2K.1beta and helping to make a "Japanized
> patch" of it (including "japanese.perl").

Excellent.

> This seems to work well except a problem.
>
> In the user side, changing the 'language' of the WWW page should
> be done in ~/.latex2html-init, or by latex2html command line
> option, I think. In the current version of latex2html, we may
> use the first one, that is, we may write in ~/.latex2html-init as
> following:
>
>   #$default_language = 'english';
>   $default_language = 'japanese';
>   #$TITLES_LANGUAGE = 'english';
>   $TITLES_LANGUAGE = 'japanese';
>
> However, when &do_cmd_today() is used, these variables keep the
> default values which are defined in l2hconf.pm, so, we can not
> change the 'language' of the date string by the setting above
> in the user side.
>
> I think this is similar problem to one which I posted last month
> as "Subject: [l2h] To choose icon image format", that is, it does
> not seem that we can change several features by command line
> option or by ~/.latex2html-init file completely, and several
> variables are already used before setting by user unfortunately.
>
> To fix it, I only know the (dirty) way to make two latex2html
> for English and for Japanese which use different l2hconf.pm.

Yes; this is the right idea.
However the filename  l2hconf.pm  is the value of an environment
variable named  $L2HCONFIG .
So all that's needed is a short script that sets the variable
to a new filename, then calls the real latex2html script.

THe file name in  $L2HCONFIG  is read before *any* other initialization
files or parameters, and before the address formats that were giving
you the problems described at the start of your message.

> This can be also applied to the problem "To choose icon image
> format", but it is not smart.
>
> Please tell me the simple way to fix them.

Alter the value of  $L2HCONFIG .

By the way, there is a chapter on LaTeX2HTML in the LaTeX Web Companion,
Addison-Wesley, 1999 (and reprints in 2000, 2001).
It gives lots of information about the customisation options
available with LateX2HTML.

Best of luck with you project.