[l2h] Re: I have the oddest problem

Ross Moore ross@ics.mq.edu.au
Wed, 19 Dec 2001 07:56:17 +1100 (EST)

> After using L2H for years, suddenly, it is acting up.
> I have a manuscript where I repeat the same equation twice, slightly
> altered, across a section boundary, ie.,
> $$equation 1$$
> \section{}
> $$equation 2$$
> where equation 2 is almost the same as equation 1, but with a slight
> editorial revision.

> When I run this through L2H, EVERY TIME, img x for equation 1 is
> inserted twice, once for equation 1 and once for equation 2.

If the coding is quite long, then the image-caching mechanism
(which tries to identify when it is unnecessary to make a new
image but can simply reuse an existing one) may not be detecting
the difference. It uses only part of the source code, coming from
the beginning and the end.
So try putting a comment early within the code for one or both
equations. That should ensure that they are seen as being different.

> This has never happened before !!!!!

That's surprising; I don't recall anything changing recently
that would affect this.

> Do you have any idea what is going on?

The image cache/reuse mechanism is not 100%.  It cannot be.
But when you are aware of the problem, it's easy to work around
with extra comments -- which are probably a good idea anyway.  :)