[l2h] Backreferences for \footnotetext

Ross Moore ross@ics.mq.edu.au
Sat, 1 Dec 2001 12:38:07 +1100 (EST)

> Ross,
>
> > > P.S. Ross, the fix you suggested for the \footnotetext problem works fine
> > > indeed. Thanks a lot. One thing that is still missing are backreferences to
> > > the original footnote occurrences. It's not as important an issue as
> > > completely broken footnotes though.
> >
> > Hmm; I thought that I'd catered for that too --- at least in my own testing.
> > Did you upgrade to the latest revision at  www.latex2html.org ?
> > Or did you just use a small quick fix that I posted to you ?
> > Can you please point me to an example;
> > having the source would help also, for testing.
>
> For an example -- see below. No, I did not upgrade, I performed the

I think I sent you quick fix, that was the basis for a fuller
solution that was later uploaded to  www.latex2html.org .

Have a look at my test pages, based on the examples that you have
provided:

   http://www-texdev.mpce.mq.edu.au/KLEBANOV/ftest2/ftest2.html

and an earlier one:

   http://www-texdev.mpce.mq.edu.au/KLEBANOV/ftest/ftest.html

These work as well as can be expected, I think.
The main document has:

<P>
Text.<A NAME="footfnm1"
 HREF="footnode.html#fnm1"><SUP>1</SUP></A> More text.

while the footnote itself has:

<DL>
<DT><A NAME="fnm1">...Text.</A><A
 HREF="node1.html#footfnm1"><SUP>1</SUP></A></DT>
<DD>Some more text.

Notice how each references the other, using the footnote marker
as the anchor text.

It's true that the browser may not indicate the result from a back-link
in an obvious way; especially when the total contents of the page is quite
small, and fits entirely into the window.
But that's a browser issue, not an HTML issue, so far as I can tell.

If anyone knows a better way to indicate the targetted text after a
hyperlink, then please tell me about it.
 better still --- send some coding that could be used here.  :-)

> Regards,
> Vladimir

Hope this helps,

	Ross

> I distilled this example from my file and you can see the result at
> http://www.uni-karlsruhe.de/~unny/up.html

Yes; I see that the back-link doesn't show here.
Updating should provide the fix.

> --
> Vladimir Klebanov  --   unny@rz.uni-karlsruhe.de
>                         http://www.uni-karlsruhe.de/~unny
> CORPORATION, n.  An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit
> without individual responsibility.

  very pithy, and quite accurate!