[l2h] Possible to remove <P></P> before and after displaymath ?

Ross Moore ross@ics.mq.edu.au
Wed, 22 Aug 2001 09:27:51 +1000 (EST)

> Hi!
>
> I my documents, I have many $$...$$ mathematics.
> When translated by Latex2thml, those environments are surrounded by <P></P>
> pairs.
> Is it possible to prevent this behaviour?

There are 3 distinct modes for translating mathematics to HTML,
and many sub-variants of these.

  novice:   the default, for putting small amounts of math
            into otherwise non-mathematical content;

  pro:      for lots of maths; the default with \usepackage{amsmath}
            and other AMS packages

  expert:   again for lots of maths, parsed extensively.
            obtained using:
              latex2html  -html_version 3.2,math  -nomath  .....

In the future, there will be another  `mathml' mode, when there is
a decent parser to use for creating the MathML code.
Then the  -nomath  switch will not be needed.

In both the  'pro' and 'novice' modes, there should not be
so much space before/after math displays, using <P></P>
in an artificial way.

On the other hand, it may be your own LaTeX source that
causes the extra empty paragraphs. For example,

... some text ....

$$
... maths ...
$$

...some more text

could result in the extra <P></P> due to the blank lines.
It would be better to use % comments, to retain the
visual layout but inhibit blank lines:

... some text ....
%
$$