[l2h] question about ~\ref{} conversion

Ross Moore ross@ics.mq.edu.au
Wed, 8 Aug 2001 16:01:26 +1000 (EST)

> Hi. I'm not a listmember, but I use latex frequently and just installed
> latex2html on my system and have a couple questions that I couldn't figure
> out myself. Please copy any answers to my email as i'm not subscribed to
> the list. Thank you.
>
> I have a document this contains math, inline equations, and some
> references. I converted it using latex2html with the following command:
>
> latex2html file.tex -dir html
>
> This produced nice output for the equations as gif files, but the inline
> equations and even superscripts and my reference numbers in the text
> (using "~\ref{name}" and a figure with "\label{name}") were also gif
> files. I didn't really like this for my purposes.
>
> So, I tried this command:
>
> latex2html file.tex -dir html -ascii_mode

No, don't do this.
It's basically for text-only browsers, and surely you want
better than this for mathematics.

> This was much close to what I would like, except it didn't seem to
> complete the dereferencing. I have places where i have the text "Figure
> ~\ref{name}" and it failed to derefence it to "Figure 1" and just put
> "Figure". Is this behavior expected? I would like it to simply put the
> numeral in that location as ascii text.
>
> Also, is there a way to get the equations I define with:
>
> \begin{equation}
> \end{equation}
>
> to be gif files but leave the inline math mode stuff, for instance:
>
> We used the formula $r = 2 * \pi$ to calculate ...

See whether or not you like the results from 'expert' mode:

   latex2html -html_version 3.2,math -nomath    <filename>.tex

(or with  4.0  instead of 3.2 )

With this, you'll get ascii for everything that make sense to be ascii,
and images for everything else; e.g. fractions, \sum, \pi, ...

> to be translated to ascii?

If you think that this goes overboard with its mixture of ascii and images,
then try 'pro' mode:

   latex2html -html_version 3.2,math -nomath -no_math_parsing  <filename>.tex

(or with  4.0  instead of 3.2 )

You can also set variables in the  .latex2html-init  file to get these
different math modes, without the command-line switches.