[l2h] ifthen.sty not supported?

Ross Moore Ross Moore <ross@ics.mq.edu.au>
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 09:46:49 +1100 (EST)

> Hello,
>
> 	I am using \usepackage{ifthen} for conditional inclusion of tex files.
> 	LaTeX2HTML seems not to know the ifthen package and just includes all of the
> 	tex files, when it should be including one. Am I doing something wrong, or
> 	is there some (easy) workaround?

Yes, the  {ifthen}  package is not supported.
THe reason is that it is the expansion model for macros with LaTeX2HTML
is different to that of TeX; so that what expands to positive for one
may be negative for the other.

In particular, you cannot use it to conditionally load pieces
of LaTeX source, as LaTeX2HTML needs to know *all* of the input files
before it even starts to expand any macros.

Your best option is to mark the \ifthen.....\else.....
part with "conditional code" comments, and provide a static
alternative for the HTML translation;
 e.g. a hyperlink to HTML pages that have been generated
separately, for the alternative content.

%begin{latexonly}
 \ifthenelse{....}
 {....}
%end{latexonly}