[l2h] GIF/PNG Problems

Steffen Klupsch Steffen Klupsch <steffen@vlsi.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>
Wed, 18 Oct 2000 12:00:29 +0200

Ross Moore wrote:

> > I installed  latex2html V99.2beta8
> > and tried to generate inlined gif pictures
> >
> > (.latex2html with $IMAGE_TYPE = "gif";)
> >
> > It does not work... The html code still requests a .png file
> > (But there is neither the .png nor a .gif file in the publish directory.)
> >
> > (.PNG files are produced and used if I do not include the $IMAGE_TYPE entry in
> > .latex2html)
> >
> > If someone has a fix, please let me know.
>
> It used to be that the choice of GIF or PNG was a decision made
> at installation time, not a run-time choice.

I am going to use the installation time switch. Perhaps the content of the
'/latex2html-99.2beta8/INSTALL' file should be changed. It says:

[...]
 o If your system supports both GIF and PNG generation (this is if you have
   both pnmtopng and ppmtogif), then the default image format will be PNG.
   This is because of legal limitations on the GIF format. To set the
   site-wide default to GIF, modify the order of the image formats in
   l2hconf.pm *before* you install:

     @IMAGE_TYPES = qw(gif png); # GIF is now default

   Alternatively, you may say "-image_type gif" on the command line or
   $IMAGE_TYPE = 'gif' in your .latex2html-init file.
[...]

The 'Alternatively' part caused my misunderstanding.

Thanks for the help,

Steffen

|   Steffen Klupsch                Alexanderstr. 10, D-64283 Darmstadt |
|   TU Darmstadt - FB Inf(20) - FG Integrierte Schaltungen und Systeme |
|   Email:   steffen@informatik.tu-darmstadt.de                        |
|   URL  :   http://www.vlsi.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de/staff/steffen/ |
|   Phone:   (+49)6151/16-6650                  Fax: (+49)6151/16-4810 |