[l2h] strange </> and <> surrounding <TABLE></TABLE>

Yotam Medini Yotam Medini <ymedini@iil.intel.com>
Mon, 20 Nov 2000 13:17:51 +0200

On Mon, Nov 20, 2000 at 08:02:27AM +1100, Ross Moore wrote:
> > producing nice <TABLE>s, but at some point
> > I get HTML nodes with   </><TABLE>...</TABLE><>  constructs
> > instead of                 <TABLE>...</TABLE>
> > for a reason I cannot figure out.
>
> Would you please send an example of the LaTeX source,
> including the environment definition.

I certainly understand the need. But unfortunately, I work
in a ``paranoid'' organization and I cannot simply send the document.
So I understand that no real debugging can be performed.

> >   </><TABLE CELLPADDING=3>
>     ^^^ as yet I cannot determine what causes this.
> That sounds like there is something in the table contents
> that is upsetting things somewhat.

I played a little with the latex2html Perl script - adding debug-prints.
After awhile I have noticed that wihin my {funcdec}->{tabular}
environment I have used  some \var{foo}, where I have defined:

   \newcommand{\var}[1]{\normalfont\emph{#1}}

When I changed it into a simpler:

   \newcommand{\var}[1]{\textsl{#1}}

The problem of the (Perl's) $closures </> and $reopens <> was gone.

> I'd need an example to say anything more.

If I will ever get to produce a tiny case without
any 'confidential-blabla' data I will be more than happy to send it.

> Hope this helps,
> 	Ross Moore

thanks -- yotam