[l2h] No such luck with "ndbm store returned -1, errno 22,key "" at... "

J. Lippmann lippmann@rbg.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de (J. Lippmann)
Fri, 17 Mar 2000 18:19:28 +0100 (MET)

Hi all,

Julius Smith wrote:

> The error-triggering line in latex2html was
>
>      $global{$key}-- if $making_name;
>
> (line 10583 of latex2html, version 99.2 beta 6 (1.42)).
> I inserted the following 5 lines as a start on debugging:
>
>      # jos 3/14/00:
>      if (!$key) {
>          print STDERR "*** KEY LOST ***'\n";
>          $key = "LOST_KEY";
>      }
>
>      $global{$key}-- if $making_name;
>
> I was hoping to fight past the crash and take a look at the output for
> clues to the problem.  To my surprise, the problem seemed to just go
> away!  ...Perhaps the Perl distributed with RH Linux 6.1 crashes on null hash
> keys,
> while earlier releases did not?  In any case, the above insert seems to
> functionar as a workaround.  Perhaps the fix should really be
>
>     $global{$key}-- if ($key && $making_name);

What happens if you change line 61 of latex2html from
  use AnyDBM_File;
into
  use SDBM_File;

This forces Perl to use its own DBM system instead of the Unix/Linux NDBM
and I am convinced it will be able to handle null keys.

Kind regards,
Jens Lippmann.

--

# Jens Lippmann                 lippmann@rbg.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de