[l2h] Latex2HTML converting - to \Gamma in superscript

Ross Moore Ross Moore <ross@ics.mq.edu.au>
Mon, 6 Mar 2000 21:50:01 +1100 (EST)

> Dear W.
>
> 	I think this is caused by missing fonts - we get round it by
> running the document through LaTeX and viewing/printing it so the fonts
> get regenerated. Then rerun latex2html and all is hopefully OK.
>
> 	But I'm sure there's a better way! Ross?

If your installation uses bitmapped fonts, then this is indeed the strategy
that I would recommend. Messing around with the automatic font-generating
mechanism to make it work with LaTeX2HTML jobs is rather tedious.
Mostly you need to run LaTeX anyway, to get the .aux file;
and frequently you will also want a high quality printed version,
so this really doesn't impose much extra work.

However, if you have PostScript .pfb (or .pfa) fonts (e.g. the BlueSky/AMS
free ones), then my recommendation is to use those and avoid font scaling
problems forever.

This also means that Ghostscript does the rasterisation, and can therefore
do a more reliable job of anti-aliasing; ergo, better quality images.

Furthermore, if you tell Ghostscript where to find them;
 e.g. by editing its Fontmap file, or by setting the GS_FONTPATH
variable, then you can create a dvips configuration file that
does not include fonts at all.

The main benefit of this is smaller file sizes for the .ps temporary files.