[l2h] problem installing beta6 with GS 6.01

Steve Mayer Steve Mayer" <mayer@dial.pipex.com
Wed, 28 Jun 2000 16:01:51 +0100

>I use ghostscript 6.01.  it installs itself in
>c:\program files\aladdin\gs6.01
Since this is the source of your problem, why not uninstall Ghostscript and
re-install it in c:\aladdin which is what I've done and it works well?

Ghostscript, latex and other similar programs were originally developed on a
non-Windows system so they tend to be unhappy with directories and filenames
which include spaces or non-standard characters like ~. I suspect that even
if you get things working using the program files directory, further
problems will occur later. This directory is fine for applications
especially written for Windows but should really be avoided for other
cross-platform applications.

I can't remember what default Ghostscript offered on install but I am sure
you can steer it away from program files. It must be possible because I
managed it!

Steve Mayer