[l2h] Ghostscript version tweak to config.pl

pierre@saiph.com pierre@saiph.com
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 14:43:38 -0400 (EDT)

Andreas Deininger writes:
 > On Friday, 21 Jul 2000, MArek Rouchal wrote:
 >
 > >Beta8 has the full fix, which will work with 6.x, too.
 >
 > I can't confirm that!
 > I just downloaded latex2html-99.2beta8 today and tried to install it with
 > GS 6.01 on my Windows NT-platform, and the installation failed:
 >
 > Excerpt from my config.log:
 >
 > config.pl, Release 99.2beta8 (Revision 1.32)
 > Accompanies LaTeX2HTML, (C) 1999 GNU Public License.
 > .
 > .
 > checking for gswin32c... F:\Programme\Aladdin\gs6.01\bin\gswin32c.exe
 > checking for ghostscript version... no
 > Error: could not determine gs version
 > Warning: Will not be able to generate images due to above failure.
 > checking if multiple pipes work... no
 > Unfortunately multiple pipes are not reliable on this OS.
 > .
 >
 > How can I overcome that problem? Is there any possibility to tell the
 > GS-Version manually?
 >
 > Thanks in advance
 >
 > Andreas
 >
 > University of Kassel
 > Department of Agricultural Engineering
 > Germany

Well, I met the problem, before I knew this mailing list, and solved
it by hand, by editing config.pl. Not too hard, when you know the
version, even with as little perl-background as I have.
nevertheless, this cost me 2 or 3 hrs, to spot the problem. When
multiplied by the number of people to whom it occurred. And if someone
fixes it for the versions available today, could change some other
day.
Lesson is clear: information targeted at men is not a fit for
computers, and vice versa. Issuing its version in a normalized way is
a requirement I wasnt aware of before.
A good fix would be: if config.pl sees it cannot infer the ghostscript
version, output a clear message, suggesting feedint this version some
other way: command line option, env variable...

Ask me if U want the fix I made, I dont think it deserves publishing.

--
Pierre Imbaud <pierre@saiph.com>