[l2h] converting to HTML with unsupported packages

Ross Moore Ross Moore <ross@ics.mq.edu.au>
Wed, 12 Jul 2000 08:36:10 +1000 (EST)

> Hi,
>     I am tring to use latex2html to convert my resume from latex to html
>     format. I have used quite a number of latex packages in it, they
>     are:
>
>     \usepackage{letterspace}
>     \usepackage{doublespace}
>     \usepackage{times}
>     \usepackage{geometry}
>     \usepackage{calc}
>

>     However, it seems to me that latex2html does not yet support
>     packages such as letterspace, geometry an calc. So what should I do?

LaTeX2HTML does not support these packages because there is no need to do so.
These are used primarily for page layout effects which are not present in HTML.

\usepackage commands are simply ignored, apart from posting a message.
.
However if you explicitly use some of the commands defined in these packages,
then you should surround that portion of your document source with the
special "conditional" comments:

  %begin{latexonly}
  %end{latexonly}

This will enable LaTeX2HTML to completely ignore those lines,
which are probably of no relevance anyway.

Consult a LaTeX2HTML manual for more details on how to use conditional
coding and environments, to enable your LaTeX source to be useful for
both a .dvi layout and an HTML translation.

>     Are these packages very nonstandard and should I rewrite my resume
>     without them?

No, these are standard packages and you should not change your choice to
use them. Just don't expect your HTML to be a snapshot of what TeX can produce.
HTML isn't designed to be a word-processor or page-layout program.

>     The tex src at the moment is quite a big mess. If anyone can give me
>     some help and suggestions on this, I will be very appreciated.
>     The tex source is at: http://linux.cia.com.au/~shao/cv.tex

No thanks; try the above suggestions first.
If you still have problems, then give us a buzz.