[l2h] Latest version

Ross Moore Ross Moore <ross@ics.mq.edu.au>
Thu, 6 Jul 2000 11:07:36 +1000 (EST)

Hi John,

> since my msg to the list only generated private responses from Uli and
> Marek saying they've been quite busy lately - I assume the same is true for
> Ross (maybe even moreso)

I'm just getting to the end of a very busy period.
But interest in LaTeX2HTML is hotting-up;
activity on this list has increased significantly these last
couple of weeks.

> in any event, I have registered latex2html.org, with the intention of
> donating it to the project whenever it's clear where it should live:

Excellent initiative. ;-)

>  Domain Name: LATEX2HTML.ORG
>
>  Administrative Contact:
>     Turner, John  john.turner@pobox.com
>     203-845-9550
>
>  Technical Contact:
>     Turner, John  john.turner@pobox.com
>     203-845-9550
>
>  Billing Contact:
>     Turner, John  john.turner@pobox.com
>     203-845-9550
>
>  Record last updated on 29-Jun-2000.
>  Record expires on 29-Jun-2001.
>  Record Created on 29-Jun-2000.
>
>  Domain servers in listed order:
>     NS0.DIRECTNIC.COM   208.178.184.56
>     NS1.DIRECTNIC.COM   206.19.41.124

> I don't have much free time either, so I'm not casting stones at anyone -
> I'm just trying to spur some consolidation of the development effort.
> Personally, I'd like to recommend that the project move to SourceForge:
>
>   http://www.sourceforge.net/
>
> which provides hosting, cvs repository with public/private access, mailing
> lists, bug tracking, etc. for projects - details here:
>
>   http://sourceforge.net/docs/site/services.php
>
> but someone needs to step forward and start volunteering to do some of
> this

Until that happens, you could setup the nameservers to alias the bayreuth site.
Then attempts to access  latex2html.org would bounce directly to  saftsack .
Further, if the  saftsack  machine has its web-server configured correctly,
it can use the  latex2html.org  name as well, so that a surfer would not
know that they were being served from Germany, not the USA.

Then, if/when we decide to utilise the full benefits of sourceforge ,
the transfer would be virtually transparent.

> I know it's kind of nice to be connected with tug.org, but I wonder if it
> might not be better to just have a pointer from tug to a dedicated L2H site
> hosted somewhere like SourceForge

Given that tug.org is moving to Denmark, then such a change might be a good thing
to do if there is a noticeable change in performance.
However, we are just talking about the mailing list, yes?
Oh, and the mailing-list archives.

Comments, and volunteers, welcome.

	Ross Moore