[l2h] Overcoming configuration difficulties

Ross Moore Ross Moore <ross@ics.mq.edu.au>
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 10:59:41 +1000 (EST)

> I just downloaded the latest beta6 and tried to configure it under
> win98.  Even though GS6.01 is installed correctly on my machine and
> even though i have added the path to netpbm and GS6.01 to my
> prefs.pm file, the config.bat fails because L2H claims that it
> cannot identify the version of GS.  Any ideas?

The information of prefs.pm and that gathered otherwise from
running the  configure  command is written into another file,
called  cfgcache.pm  or something similar.
Also check the contents of  l2hconf.pm  for specific paths.
Just look at creation dates/times to find the correct files.

It is these files that need to have the correct information;
the  configure  utility is just a way to create them, but they could
easily be edited by hand (using l2hconf.pin).

After editing  cfgcache.pm  then running  configure  again,
should update  l2hconf.pm  accordingly.

When you are happy that the configuration is correct, run  make  .
Everything should work correctly.
Run a few tests to verify that it does indeed work,
then   make install .

The same type of editing can be used to set  'gif' images,
rather than  'png',  e.g.  on one installation I have lines:

cfgcache.pm:$cfg{'IMAGE_TYPES'} = q'gif';
cfgcache.pm:$cfg{'PPMTOGIF'} = q'/share/netpbm/bin/ppmtogif';
cfgcache.pm:$cfg{'gif_interlace'} = q'netpbm';
cfgcache.pm:$cfg{'gif_trans'} = q'netpbm';

Alternatively, running  ./configure --help
gives the usage. Relevant switches are: e.g.

  --with-gs=PATH          path/name of the GhostScript executable
  --enable-gif            add support of GIF images
  --enable-png            add support of PNG images