[l2h] \newtheorem{Main Lemma}

Ross Moore Ross Moore <ross@ics.mq.edu.au>
Wed, 9 Aug 2000 08:59:03 +1000 (EST)

Martin.Goldstern wrote:

> The text below looks like decent LaTeX to me.  But
>          LaTeX2HTML Version 99.2beta8 (1.42)
> complains:
>
> *** sub do_cmd_theMain Lemma failed:
> syntax error at (eval 478) line 1, near "sub do_cmd_theMain Lemma "

> Is that a bug or a feature?

> Can it be that environment names are not allowed to contain blanks?

Yes, that is indeed the problem.

I've never seen anywhere in TeX or LaTeX where it is common
to use blanks in names of environments.
Cerainly in HTML, SGML, XML etc. the markup tag must have
a single word for its name. Any following words concern attributes
for that tag.

The intention of environments is to have an identifier for a class
of constructions. A single-word identifier is sufficient
to specify the class.

A single instance of that class might want multiple words in the
title; e.g. a name for a specific theorem or lemma,
but that would be supplied as a separate argument.

Do you have several "Main Lemma"s in a document, or is there just one ?

> Latex does not seem to mind, and I could not find anything relevant
> in the latex2html manual.

The posibility was never even considered AFAIK.

\newtheorem{Main_Lemma}{Main Lemma}  should work,
as should  \newtheorem{Main-Lemma}{Main Lemma}.

Just because something *works* in LaTeX, does not mean that
it is a good idea, or that it will transfer easily, when your
documents are processed in another setting.