[l2h] Problems with closing quotation marks

Ross Moore Ross Moore <ross@ics.mq.edu.au>
Wed, 19 Apr 2000 10:04:53 +1000 (EST)

> Hi,
>
> writing a german text I have problems with the closing quotation marks.
> What I would need is  ,,open and close__ or at least ,,open and close"
> or ,,open and close'' but what I get is
>
> ,,open and close`` (which is wrong in german)  ...

Is it wrong?
LaTeX2HTML follows what is described on:

   http://www.maths.mq.edu.au/texdev/tests/harn/node1.html

This page was first constructed in 1997, by a German national,
and no-one has complained before now.

I don't have the 1st-hand knowledge, but if it is indeed wrong
then I'll change it. However it will need confirmation
from a variety of sources before I'd make such a change.

>  ...  or even worse ,,open and
> close _` (flipped question mark) when it should be ,,open and close?__

This is because ?" is normally a ligature in TeX.
If LaTeX2HTML searches for this pattern before searching for
German ligatures, then this could explain the mis-translation.

Test this, or work-around it, by using   ?{}"'

> I set the $default_language = 'german';	 but is showed no effect...

\usepackage{german}  or  \usepackage[german]{babel}
are the usual ways to get the special german translation extensions.