[l2h] testing l2h992-beta5 ...

Andreas Otte Andreas Otte <andreas.otte@primus-online.de>
Sun, 31 Oct 1999 10:15:09 +0100

Hi!

Ross Moore wrote:

> > Hi!
> >
> > beta5 works fine with me with on exception. Some pictures are being
> > cropped to nearly nothing. This worked in older versions. The pictures
> > are in images.ps.
> >
> > Running on linux 2.2 (SuSE 6.2) ...
> >
> > I have attached a test case. Run it through latex and dvips and look at
> > it and then run it through latex2html and compare. The curves are
> > missing ...
> >
> > Or is that a problem with my netpbm tools?
>
> Your image is in .pcx format, inserted into the document
> via \special{em:graph kurven.pcx}
>
> This \special command is specific to one dvi-driver only
>  (em-TeX, I'd expect) and is certainly *not* a standard
> TeX or LaTeX command. It cannot work with a Web2C-based
>  teTeX distribution, as are most Unix-TeX installations.

dvips understands this special command. I have several other
pcx-pictures,  which are correctly interpreted and included into the
html-files as gifs.

> When processed by LaTeX2HTML, you file is interpreted
> correctly, resulting in the following, within  test/images.tex
>
> {\newpage\clearpage
> \lthtmlfigureA{picture35}%
> \begin{picture}(4.96,1.5)
> \par\put(0,1.5){\special{em:graph kurven.pcx}}
> \par\put(0.45,0.05){(a)}
> \par\put(1.7,0.05){(b)}
> \par\put(2.9,0.05){(c)}
> \par\put(4.65,0.05){(d)}
> \end{picture}%
> \lthtmlfigureZ
> \lthtmlcheckvsize\clearpage}

As I said, images.tex is okay, so is images.ps if you copy the pcx
picture into the right directory.

> Now if your TeX driver is indeed  em-TeX, or other driver
> that understands that \special command, then this should
> work, provided the file  kurven.pcx  can be found.
>
> Within the directory  test/ created by latex2html, create
> a symbolic link to the image file in the directory above;
> e.g.
>   ln -s ../kurven.pcx .
> using Unix. There should be a similar command in WindowsNT
> or other platform; if not, then copy the image file into
> the test/ working directory.
>
> Note that LaTeX2HTML does *not* know to look within the
> parent directory for files named in \special commands,
> since there is no standard for such commands being used
> in this way.

It does not know when images.ps is created manually, but latex2html does
know when dvips is called to build.

Anyway, I just found the reason. The picture is some kind of
combination. It uses the pcx picture and adds some normal text with the
put command. If you remove the puts, the picture is integrated into the
html. This worked in previous versions. What is wrong here?

Greetings
      Andreas