[l2h] period in path name

Ian Nimmo-Smith Ian Nimmo-Smith <ian.nimmo-smith@mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk>
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 18:15:27 +0100

I apologise if this is just a simple error on my part.

Using LaTeX2HTML Version 98.1 release (February 19th, 1998) I have run across
a problem which I eventually tracked down to pstoimg sometimes not being able
to find previously created image files, because the dvipsk step is putting
them in the wrong place.

I have now established that this occurs if somewhere in the path leading to
the original .tex file there is directory whose name contains a dot ('.'); for
then the image ps get created in the next directory above. By avoiding this
type of directory name I bypass the problem, but it's rather an annoying
restriction.

E.g.

little.tex is in the directory /home/ian/zzz.stuff/

I run latex2html little.tex which generates one image file

Getting the following extracted output

------
Writing image file ...
images will be generated in /home/ian/zzz.stuff/little/l2h18040/
This is dvipsk 5.58f Copyright 1986, 1994 Radical Eye Software
' TeX output 1999.10.12:1756' -> /home/ian/zzz.stuff/little/l2h18040/image
(-> /home/ian/zzz.001) <tex.pro><special.pro><color.pro>[1]
pstoimg: Cannot find file /home/ian/zzz.stuff/little/l2h18040/image001.ps: No
such file or directory
Error while converting image: No such file or directory
------

Note that the dvipsk step sends its output to /home/ian/zzz.001, at the same
directory level as zzz.stuff. This postscript file is actually created, but
it's not the right place for the pstoimg step.

If I change the name zzz.stuff to anything without a '.' (e.g. just zzz) the
problem goes away.

Does this seem familiar to anyone?

Is there a simple fix?

Ian